Users may experience errors when installing the UT2 on a Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 machine. UT2 uses Microsoft's SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Database and the UT2 tries in install the database. The database install can fail to install if "MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459)" is already installed . This is a well known issue for Microsoft.
This issue is documented here --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968749.
We have a patch from Microsoft that will uninstall "MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459)" which will then allow SQL Server to be installed without errors.
You will have to login to see that attachment.
Please follow these steps:
- Download the file msxml6.zip.
- Unzip the contents to a folder.
- Open the folder.
- Running as an administator, double click on "msxml_fix.vbs"
- There will be several (6 or so) message boxes that pop up. Keep clicking"OK". The sixth message box should say "MSXML 6 Service Pack has been uninstalled".
- Now run the UT2 installer "ut_setup_2_5_115.exe". This installer will install SQL Server and then the UT2 program.